Wednesday, March 28, 2012

A Day Out in the City

When we're out and about in the city, we get lots of looks, like we have TOURIST written on our foreheads. It could be that they hear us speaking English or that I have a baby strapped to me in the Ergo or the "deer in the headlights" look of wonder on my face as I try to read the signs and understand what they are saying. While trying to communicate with the local people here, I for some reason revert back to Spanish when talking with them. Seriously, it's like I don't have control over the language part of my brain because every. single. time I try to say something to someone who doesn't speak English, it comes out in Spanish! Yes becomes "Si!" and please becomes "Por Favor" and so on...my brain seems to only have room for 2 languages!

After we arrived at our apartment last night, Richard and I set out to find a grocery store to get a few things while Carole stayed with Luke at the apartment. When we walked inside the first grocery store, we looked around for a minute and realized we didn't bring our pocket language book with us (thanks Emily Frye for letting us borrow it!), but my amazing hand gestures got us some water. I'm just talented like that: ) Thankfully, the lady knew enough English to ask if I wanted "gas or no gas". Apparently, carbonated water is popular over here so you have to specify or you might get home with something you didn't want. We quickly realized we had NO idea what we needed to buy as nothing is in English. We decided to take the water back home and try again the next day. On our way back, we spotted a small red sign that said "Food" so we stopped to take a look. It was a small grocery store and the lady working there was very kind! She tried to help us find what we were looking for and was quite helpful despite the language barrier. I decided she is my new best friend while we are in the city. We went back this morning to get some eggs, OJ, butter, and more water. We had a great little breakfast of scrambled eggs and OJ: )

Our driver told us about the underground mall and a few other places in the area so we ventured out after breakfast this morning to check it out. We got all bundled up and started walking the cold, wet streets trying to navigate our way around the city. We found the mall and looked at the different shops. I bought a little doll that has hand-stitched native dress for our Libby girl and Carole bought a beautiful scarf and hand-stitched blouse. Richard then talked with another family here who are also adopting that arrived a few days earlier than we did and were very helpful in giving us directions. They told us about a few playgrounds and a good little coffee shop close by. Coffee was calling our names so we made our way over and we were glad we did! It was a great little place with a fun atmosphere and delicious treats.

We are enjoying our time here so far despite the jet lag. Speaking of jet lag, it's been pretty rough! In the last couple of days, I've gotten maybe 5 hours of sleep total. Luke was up from about 11pm until 7am this morning. I finally just got up with him around 3:30 this morning instead of trying to put him back to sleep for the 20th time. I'm running on adrenaline I guess, but I'm really starting to feel the lack of sleep catch up with me.

Tomorrow is our appt with the DAP so I'm hoping I'll be back to normal by then. Please pray for us as we adjust to our new time zone and that we will stay healthy despite the lack of sleep. Also, please pray for our appt with the govt officials for God to give us the words to say and that we will find favor with them. We're also hoping to be able to pick up her referral (our "permission slip" to go see her) tomorrow which will allow us to meet her on Friday instead of having to wait until Monday. Usually, you aren't allowed to pick it up until the next day, but we want to meet her as soon as possible and start the court date process as well. So, please pray for our patience in God's timing as he works all these things together. Our prayer is for God to be glorified!

Here are some pictures we took today while we were out:














Little Coffee Shop that we loved!



My WONDERFUL mom-in-law!! We are SO thankful to have her here with us!

Our little man and the culprit behind my lack of sleep last night! He's just too cute to be upset with though: )

1 comment:

  1. Idk what my brain will revert to when it hits the language barrier since I only know two dozen words in Spanish! Pig latin, maybe? :) Love love love all the pics. I am praying for y'all!

    ReplyDelete